NYC Green Card Process and Laws within the Federal System
The green card process in NYC is guided by federal immigration laws as are all immigration issues in the U.S. The process is lengthy and involves a number of steps. The Law Office of Evelyn Tossas Tucker provides effective legal help to immigrants who want to obtain a green card in NYC. We answer your questions, advise you on laws that affect your case, and assist you throughout the process.
NYC green card process, registration, and requirments
To become a lawful permanent resident (LPR), an immigrant must meet NYC green card requirements. Steps of the green card process in NYC include:
- Immigrant petition. Most immigrants applying for a green card are either sponsored by a family member or an employer. Sponsors submit a visa petition on behalf of the immigrant to obtain an immigrant visa. Exceptions include investment, special immigrant, asylum, refugee status, and DV Lottery green cards, which do not require sponsorship.
- Immigrant visa availability. Unless sponsored by an immediate relative, the immigrant must wait for a visa number based on the U.S. yearly quota system.
- Immigrant visa adjudication. After receiving a visa number, the immigrant is allowed to apply for a green card in one of two ways:
- Adjustment of status. Immigrants already in the United States may apply to adjust status. A NYC green card interview is scheduled and a USCIS officer questions the immigrant to ensure eligibility.
- Consular processing. Immigrants not in the United States may schedule an appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. Upon U.S. entry, the immigrant is processed for a green card, which is then mailed.
U.S. admissibility is a factor in both adjustment of status and consular processing. Factors that can restrict admission include health, criminal, and security related restrictions.
Get legal help with obtaining a green card in NYC
Find out what you need to know about immigration, deportation, and green cards in NYC under the guidance of an experienced NYC Green Card lawyer. Call 888-317-5267 or contact the Law Office of Evelyn Tossas Tucker online today.