NYC Green Card Lawyer
The United States permanent resident card-which used to be green-is an identification card for immigrants having lawful permanent residency. NYC green card lawyers provide valuable guidance for immigrants who seek permanent residence in the United States. Over the past several decades, the Law Offices of Evelyn Tossas Tucker has helped many clients obtain green cards.
Benefits of a green card
Green card holders enjoy many of the same benefits as U.S. citizens. Some benefits include:
- Ability to live and work freely in any of the 50 U.S. states
- Equal employment opportunities with freedom from discrimination
- State sponsorship in education or research opportunities
- Social security benefits (insurance and retirement)
- Medicare benefits
- Right to own property and firearms
- Ability to renew green cards every ten years
- Right to sponsor relatives for immigrant visas
As a permanent resident, after living for five years in the United States or three years if married to a U.S. citizen, you may apply for citizenship. New York City Immigration issues can be confusing, and speaking with a NYC green card attorney to learn more. The main advantages citizens have over green card holders are the ability to vote, serve on a jury, hold public office, and no travel restrictions based on the need to establish residency.
Talk to NYC green card attorneys that know the law
Restrictions based on residency and related activities
A permanent resident risks losing the right to have a green card if she or he:
- Remains abroad for over a year without obtaining a re-entry permit or returning resident visa
- Abandons U.S. residency by remaining abroad (for any length of time)
- Moves to another country with the intention of establishing permanent residence there
- Fails to file U.S. income tax returns while living abroad
- Declares himself or herself a nonimmigrant on tax returns
- Becomes involved in criminal activities
Because acquiring a green card takes a lot of work, understanding your obligations is important once you obtain a green card. Green card attorneys in NYC can advise you on the best way to maintain residency and avoid allegations of residency abandonment if you plan to travel abroad.
Why hire a NYC green card attorney?
If you are in the United States and there is any question about your legal status, you should definitely hire a green card attorney in NYC to advise you. Attempting to adjust status when you are in the country illegally could result in denial and deportation proceedings. Depending on the length of your illegal stay or whether you were convicted of criminal charges, re-entry could be barred for up to 10 years or indefinitely.
Get legal help from a NYC green card lawyer
If you are dealing with NYC deporation issues, or need more information concerning green card process in NYC, speak at NYC green card lawyer today. Find out what you need to know about obtaining permanent residency under the guidance of an experienced immigration and green card lawyer in NYC. We are glad to answer your questions and address your concerns. Call 888-317-5267 or contact the Law Office of Evelyn Tossas Tucker online today.